I am an art historian living in Brooklyn, NY. My area of specialization is modern art with a focus on modern Italian sculpture. I have done graduate level coursework in the digital humanities and worked in museums and digital archives. I also have experience in collections management, art handling, and museum data entry.
- PhD in Art HistoryAugust 2019 - present
The Graduate Center, CUNY, New York, NY
Modern Art Specialization. Earned MPhil, June 2023.
- Master of Arts in Art HistoryAugust 2016 - May 2018
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
Modern Art Specialization.
Qualifying Paper: “The ‘True Etruscan’: Arturo Martini’s Lion of Monterosso and Etruscan Modernism.”
- Bachelor of Arts in Art HistorySeptember 2010 - June 2014
Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, MI
Art History major, Classical Civilizations minor.
Magna cum laude. Honors in Art History.
Senior Individualized Project: “The Stadio and the Sons of the She-Wolf: Context and Controversy Surrounding Rome’s Stadio dei Marmi.”
- Study AbroadAugust - December 2012
American University of Rome, Rome, Italy
- High SchoolSeptember 2006 - June 2010
The Roeper School, Birmingham, MI
Art History Experience
- Graduate Assistant, The Graduate Center, CUNY (August 2019 - present)
Professor of Art History at Lehman College. Research assistant and gallery attendant.
- Adjunct Professor, City College of New York (August 2022 - present)
Instructor in the History of Architecture.
- MACO Collection Manager, American Numismatic Society (August 2018 - August 2019)
Collection manager for the recent acquisition of the Medallic Art Company historic archive and collection. Responsible for researching the history of the medals and tokens produced by the Medallic Art Company in its 110-year history and curating exhibits of the most significant art medals. Also responsible for safely unpacking, moving, and organizing the 20,000-piece collection and cataloguing the extensive collection of galvanos and molds held in storage.
- Graduate Research Assistant (August 2017 - May 2018)
Research assistant to the curator of the Eve Drewelowe Collection at the University of Iowa. Responsible for the safe handling, moving, and organization of the thousand-piece collection of paintings, sculpture, and drawings. Manager of the collection’s storage and safety conditions in its new facility. Made condition reports on paintings and sculpture and wrote the collection’s annual report. Planned and researched a digital exhibition of Drewelowe’s early work as a student at the University of Iowa.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant (August 2016 - December 2017)
Planned lessons, graded all assignments, and taught weekly discussion sections. Graduate teaching assistant for undergraduate art history classes with specific experience in East Asian art.
- Curatorial Intern, American Numismatic Society (October 2015 - August 2017)
Worked with the curators of Roman and Medieval coins on long-term projects, including handling and reorganizing the large collection of Julio-Claudian coins, creating and editing database entries, and researching coins without attributions in the database. Accessioned, stored, and reorganized collections of paper money from Italy, Dutch tokens, and Italian coins and medals.
- Archival/Creative Services Intern, Trunk Archive (March 2016 - July 2016)
Worked with the archival team at Trunk Archive, a photo licensing firm, using a Digital Asset Management system to upload new photos to the website, edit metadata, and process image search requests as well as working on long term projects within the archival department.
- Teaching Assistant for Art History Survey Course (January - March 2014)
Assisted with lecture, discussion, and grading, and helped students write art historical papers. Conducted two researched lectures on art movements from 1700-1960. Ran in-class discussions and out of class review and paper-writing sessions.
- Departmental Student Adviser for Art History (August 2013 - June 2014)
Special student adviser for underclassmen in the Art History department, chosen by Art History professors. Assisted with giving underclassmen guidance in the field of Art History and helped run First Year Forums and Declaration of Major Day.
- Marketing Intern, Detroit Institute of Arts (January - March 2013)
Intern for the marketing and public relations departments at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Worked writing press releases, answering marketing email, and assisting in the marketing and researching of spring exhibitions and special events.
- Bookseller at Barnes and Noble (October 2014 - May 2015)
Assisted in all areas of the shopping experience, from customer service and locating items within the store to working the cash register and selling memberships. Received particular training in the Kids’ department, at the customer service desk, and in the café as a barista.
- Food Service Associate at Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (June - October 2014)
Food service worker at Greenfield Village, a living history attraction. Worked a multitude of different stations, including food prep, busser, and food service.
- Election Assistant (August 2010, 2012, and 2014, November 2014)
Worked as an assistant gathering and entering election results and calling precincts for the Detroit Free Press on election night.
- Hostess (Summer and Winter 2014)
Hostess at South Bar and Restaurant. Worked seating and busing tables as a summer and winter job. Also answered the phone and took all questions, messages, and reservations.
Achievements and Honors
- Recipient of Strategic Initiative Fund Fellowship for incoming graduate students at the University of Iowa.
- Recipient of Art History Departmental Honors for excellence in Art History coursework and in the Senior Individualized Project.
- Graduated magna cum laude from Kalamazoo College.
- Recipient of 2014 Michael Waskowsky Prize for excellence in Art and Art History.
- Senior Individualized Project (senior thesis) awarded honors. The paper is available to read here.
- Recipient of 2014 Margaret Upton Prize for leadership in music.
- Recipient of 2013 Provost’s Prize in Classics for outstanding paper written on a Classical subject. The project is available to view here.
- Kalamazoo College Dean’s List winter, spring, fall 2011, winter, spring 2012, fall 2013, and winter and spring 2014.
- Member of Alpha Lambda Delta college freshman honor society for the top 20% of the class, 2011.
- Regional Semifinalist in Forensics public speaking competition, 2009.
Languages and Skills
I have studied French at the high school and college level and have passed my French exams for my M.A. in Art History. I have done scholarly research in French.
My reading is fairly good, but speaking and writing are limited.
- Collections Databases
In my work at the American Numismatic Society I have become well acquainted with FileMaker and other collections management skills, including accessioning new objects and editing entries for errors and accuracy. I have also used Collective Access to create an online collection for a graduate level course in digital humanities.
- Wordpress and Content Management Systems
In addition to using WordPress to create this website, I have used it to create a virtual coin exhibit and as a marketing intern I used WordPress and the DIA website content management system.
- Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
I have studied Adobe photoshop and used the program for school projects. I used InDesign as a page designer for the music and culture magazine at Kalamazoo College.
- Microsoft Office
Experienced with all of the programs in the Microsoft Office suite.